The Cathedral of Aveiro, also known as the Church or Convent of São Domingos de Aveiro, is located in the city center right next to the Santa Joana Museum in the parish of Glória and Vera Cruz.
This was the original church of Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia, consecrated in 1469 when it was linked to the Dominican convent of the same name. Between the 16th and 17th centuries, the church underwent major construction changes, with the side ships being converted into devotional chapels. In 1834 the convent was transformed into a military barracks and consumed by fire a few years later.
This Building has been classified as Portuguese heritage (Property of Public Interest) since 1996, it was considered as such because the respective protection and enhancement represent a cultural value of national importance.